Jaime Oliver's Food Revolution! Start With Your Own Family!! WATCH THIS!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Healthy Delicious Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies That Even Your Kids Will Love! Secret Ingredient "EVOO"


These turned out surprisingly well. My 3 year old will not eat nuts on their own nor will he eat oatmeal, ok...sometimes a little oatmeal...but not enough. I have found he will pretty much consume any nut if it is in the form of a cookie or cupcake. It also REALLY helps if the baked item has some mouthwatering, very visible, chocolate chips. I might add, I love the mini chocolate chips as well...helps to balance a "TOO HEALTHY" recipe in my opinion. :):)
BTW ~ My family is used to eating like this so I brought some of these to a dinner party,..... to "Test" them out... and everyone loved them. ( I was a little nervous....)
I got the original recipe from the
WholeGrainGourmet.com. I made a few changes. :)
Thank you Whole Grain Gourmet for helping to keep my family healthy!!

Ingredients:

Dry ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour (a pinch more depending on the moisture of the mix) (I used Whole Wheat Pastry Flour - (Whole Foods)
1 1/2 cups of steel cut oats (Trader Joe's)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp Cinnamon (To your liking - 1-3 T)
1/2 tsp Nutmeg (optional) - (I would not add this next time...not a big fan)
1 Stevia packet (Trader Joe's)
Wet ingredients
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup agave
1/2 cup oil (corn, grapeseed or olive) * you can also use some applesauce to replace some of the oil if you wish* (I used EVOO)
1 Tablespoon Molasses (Whole Foods)
1 egg (beat with 1 Tbsp Water)
1 tsp Vanilla
Yummy ingredients
1/2 cup raisins (I didn't use these)
1/2 cup walnuts

Couple handfuls of mini chocolate chips
Preparation:
~In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
~In a medium bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together. Hint: when measuring out the honey, spray the measuring cup with oil or baking spray--your honey won't stick).
~Mix the wet stuff with the dry stuff. Add the raisins and walnuts and mix. If the mixture seems too wet, add a bit of flour (shhh...don't tell anyone,...I added "a little" white flour.) If it isn't binding together very well, you may wish to add an egg white.
~COOL the mix for 20 minutes or more in the fridge. (This is a MUST!! or everything will crumble)
~Preheat the oven to 335 degrees (lower temperature due to the honey in the recipe which will burn more easily).
~Drop by teaspoonfuls onto your baking sheet (I recommend lining the baking sheet with parchment paper). Press down with a fork to ensure even cooking. (I rolled them into balls)
Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until golden on the bottom of the cookie. The cookies freeze very well and make a great snack! Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! Will have to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so yummy! Let me know when you try them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin